Bethany L. Goldblum, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Nuclear Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2007
M.Sc., Nuclear Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2005
B.S., Chemistry, Fort Lewis College, 2002
B.A., Mathematics, Fort Lewis College, 2002
Bethany L. Goldblum is an Associate Research Engineer in the Department of Nuclear Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, and the Founder and Director of the Nuclear Policy Working Group, an interdisciplinary team of undergraduate and graduate students focused on developing policy solutions to strengthen global nuclear security. She also serves as Executive Director of the Nuclear Science and Security Consortium, a multi-institution initiative established by the Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration to conduct research and development supporting the nation’s nonproliferation mission while expanding the talent pipeline. Goldblum is Director of the Public Policy and Nuclear Threats Bootcamp and leads the Bay Area Neutron Group, a research team focused on applied nuclear physics for nuclear security applications with activities in nuclear reactions physics, neutron detection, scintillator characterization, and nuclear weapons policy. Goldblum maintains active collaborations with the United States Department of Energy national laboratories and is an affiliate at Lawrence Berkeley, Lawrence Livermore, and Sandia National Laboratories.
- Project on Nuclear Issues Mid-Career Cadre (2016)
- American Physical Society Woman Physicist of the Month Award (2014)
- Clare Boothe Luce Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Fellowship, UC Berkeley (2008)
- J.A. Brown, B.L. Goldblum, T.A. Laplace, K.P. Harrig, L.A. Bernstein, D.L. Bleuel, W. Younes, D. Reyna, E. Brubaker, and P. Marleau, “Proton Light Yield in Organic Scintillators using a Double Time-of-Flight Technique,” J. Appl. Phys. 124, 045101 (2018).
- A.W. Reddie and B.L. Goldblum, “All Hands on Deck: Advancing Safeguards for Naval Nuclear Materials,” The Nonproliferation Review, 25, 1-16 (2018).
- E.F. Matthews, B.L. Goldblum, L.A. Bernstein, B.J. Quiter, J.A. Brown, W. Younes, J.T. Burke, S.W. Padgett, J.J. Ressler, and A.P. Tonchev, “FIER: Software for analytical modeling of delayed gamma-ray spectra,” Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A, 891, 111 (2018).
- K.P. Harrig, B.L. Goldblum, J.A. Brown, D.L. Bleuel, L.A. Bernstein, J. Bevins, M. Harasty, T.A. Laplace, and E.F. Matthews, “Neutron Spectroscopy for Pulsed Beams with Frame Overlap using a Double Time-of-Flight Technique,” Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A, 877, 359 (2018).
- B.H. Daub, D.L. Bleuel, M. Wiedeking, L.A. Bernstein, N.M. Brickner, J.A. Brown, B.L. Goldblum, K.S. Holliday, J. Lundgren, and K. Moody, “Neutron transfer in the 13C + 197Au reaction from gold isotope residuals,” Phys. Rev. C 95, 024602 (2017).
- B.V. Kheswa, M. Wiedeking, J.A. Brown, A.C. Larsen, S. Goriely, M. Guttormsen, F.L. Bello Garrote, L.A. Bernstein, D.L. Bleuel, T.K. Eriksen, F. Giacoppo, A. Gorgen, B.L. Goldblum, T.W. Hagen, P.E. Koehler, M. Klintefjord, K.L Malatji, J.E. Mitbo, H.T. Nyhus, P. Papka, T. Renstrom, S.J. Rose, E. Sahin, S. Siem, and T.G. Tornyi, “137,138,139La(n,γ) cross sections constrained with statistical decay properties of 138,139,140La nuclei,” Phys. Rev. C 95, 045805 (2017).
- C.L. Stork, C.C. Ummel, D.S. Stuart, S. Bodily, and B.L. Goldblum, “Dynamic Analysis Environment for Nuclear Forensic Analyses,” Computer Physics Communications 210, 60 (2016).
- A. Ratkiewicz, L. Berzak Hopkins, D.L. Bleuel, L.A. Bernstein, K. van Bibber, W.S. Cassata, B.L. Goldblum, S. Siem, C.A. Velsko, M. Wiedeking, and C.B. Yeamans, “A recoverable gas-cell diagnostic for the National Ignition Facility,” Rev. Sci. Instrum. 87, 11D825 (2016).
- D.L Bleuel, L.A. Bernstein, C.A. Brand, W.S. Cassata, B.H. Daub, L.S. Dauffy, B.L. Goldblum, J.M. Hall, C.A. Hagmann, L.B. Hopkins, H.Y. Khater, A.L. Kritcher, D.H.G. Schneider, S. Siem, C.A. Velsko and M. Wiedeking, “Method for Detection of Nuclear-Plasma Interactions in a 134Xe-Doped Exploding Pusher at the National Ignition Facility,” J. Plasma Fusion Res. 11, 3401075 (2016).
- M. Wiedeking, M. Krtička, L. A. Bernstein, J. M. Allmond, M. S. Basunia, D. L. Bleuel, J. T. Burke, B. H. Daub, P. Fallon, R. B. Firestone, B. L. Goldblum, R. Hatarik, P. T. Lake, A. C. Larsen, I-Y. Lee, S. R. Lesher, S. Paschalis, M. Petri, L. Phair, N. D. Scielzo, and A. Volya, “Gamma-ray decay from neutron-bound and unbound states in 95Mo and a novel technique for spin determination,” Phys. Rev. C 93, 024303 (2016).
- T.A. Laplace, F. Zeiser, M. Guttormsen, A.C. Larsen, D.L. Bleuel, L.A. Bernstein, B.L. Goldblum, S. Siem, F.L. Bello Garotte, J.A. Brown, L. Crespo Campo, T.K. Eriksen, F. Giacoppo, A. Görgen, K. Hadyńska-Kleęk, R.A. Henderson, M. Klintefjord, M. Lebois, T. Renstrøm, S.J. Rose, E. Sahin, T.G. Tornyi, G.M. Tveten, A. Voinov, M. Wiedeking, J.N. Wilson, and W. Younes, “Statistical properties of 243Pu and 242Pu(n,γ) cross section calculation,” Phys. Rev. C 93, 014323 (2016).
- N. Egel, B.L. Goldblum, and E. Suzuki, A Novel Framework for Safeguarding Naval Nuclear Material,” The Nonproliferation Review 22, 239 (2015).