This looks troubling. Irradiated sardines

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/After+Fukushima+fish+tales/5994237/s...

Now of course the PTB are downplaying the danger but the numbers are frightening:

excerpt:

...(T)here is a good chance Canadians have already eaten some of the types of fish most likely to be contaminated with cesium, based on the Japanese fisheries data.

Japan exported $76 million of food products to Canada in 2010, including $13 million of fish and crustaceans. No figures were available for 2011.

The Gazette analyzed the Japanese fisheries data for 22 seafood species that Japan has exported to Canada in recent years.

Some cesium was found in 16 of these 22 species in November, the last full month for which data was available.

Cesium was especially prevalent in certain of the species:

73 per cent of mackerel tested

91 per cent of the halibut

92 per cent of the sardines

93 per cent of the tuna and eel

94 per cent of the cod and anchovies

100 per cent of the carp, seaweed, shark and monkfish

Some of the fish were caught in Japanese coastal waters. Other catches were made hundreds of kilometres away in the open ocean.

There, the fish can also be caught by fishers from dozens of other nations that ply the waters of the Pacific.

Yet, Japan is the only country that appears to be systematically testing fish for radiation and publicly reporting the results.

CFIA is no longer doing any testing of its own. It did some radiation tests on food imports from areas of Japan around the stricken nuclear plant in the weeks after the Fukushima accident.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/After+Fukushima+fish+tales/5994237/s...

THE 11TH TOP KILLER OF AMERICANS WAS EATING SARDINES

300,000 Americans were killed by doctor errors last year.
125,000 Americans died in automobile accidents.

The top 10 killers of Americans Last year
1: Heart disease
2: Cancer
3: Respiratory infections
4: Lung disease
5: HIV/AIDS
6: Digestive diseases
7: Diarrhoeal diseases
8: Tuberculosis
9: Malaria
10: Traffic accidents

SURPRISINGLY THE 11TH TOP KILLER OF AMERICANS WAS
11: Eating Sardines

(Actually it wasn't. No one died from sardines last year)

contamination via irradiation

Worst of both worlds

Of course, you CAN have (radionuclide) contamination via irradiation; when the irradition sourch happens to emit NEUTRONS.

Neutrons induce radioactivity in all sorts of materials.

Contamination VIA irradiation

Iron

Neutron IRRADIATION, such as reportedly occurred in the Fukushima radionuclide storm can induce radiation in otherwise inert substances.

Such as the IRON in your blood

No more IRON poor blood. Now your blood can be supercharged.

Ann Coulter, apparently a SHILL for the nuclear power industry, please take note. Another hormesis opportunity for the residents of Honshu Island Japan.

Glowing with ... ____________________________ (fill in the blank)
(health, rage, fury, caerulean bliss, emission spectra, fever, other)

Article in the Gazette removed

The article was either removed or the link was broken.

You need to look on the bright side

All those salmon and tuna swimming in the radiation soaked Pacific will now be living in a sterile environment. Think of the meaning of this. Now your chicken of the sea tuna will have a shelf life well into the centuries. You will be able to leave the smoked salmon in a drawer for years instead of the fridge thusly reducing your electric bill. Restaurants will not have to keep their King Crabs or shrimp on ice any more. Can you imagine being able to buy a sackful of McDonalds fish sandwiches and take them on a month long vacation and NOT having to worry about them sitting in the trunk of your car all that time, knowing they will be as fresh as the day they were cooked?
All of it adds up to a tremendous savings on energy.
Now all we have to do is hope the fallout from Fukushima will have the same benefits for our cattle, sheep and other food sources.
Imagine a birthday cake with a shelf life longer than King Tut's mummy!
Or a Twinkie with a 10,000 year expiration date on it.
Hmm, come to think of it they already have that due to all the artificial ingredients but there are lots of food items that will be affected positively by this!
So cheer up and smile!

At the moment, no fishing is

At the moment, no fishing is allowed in the coast off Fukushima prefecture. Samples still being caught and tested, but not distributed. This may skew the numbers which The Gazette is using, since Fukushima captures are included in the database they used.

Also, why only mention detections of cesium and not the levels detected? If detection limits are low enough, Cs-137 would always be detected anywhere in the world.

By the way, the article is from last January and it's based on data from last November. Do we have any update?

FYI - the ban on fishing off

FYI - the ban on fishing off fukushima has been lifted. Now appearing on grocery store shelves near you...

Irradiated means they were

Irradiated means they were deliberately exposed during processing to radiation for the purpose of killing bacteria so the shelf life will be extended. Although I am anti nuke I do think this is a process worth studying closely. Irradiated foods are not contaminated, that is actually containing radioactive materials, after the brief exposure even though most people think that somehow they are.
What you are seeing with the fish is contamination. And it is serious in spite of the naysayers here.
When you purchase any fish now you have to check its source carefully.
You will find that, eg, salmon can be labeled as farm raised, and it may say from Canada -the Pacific or Atlantic. Or it may not say which ocean, in which case it is best to pass it up. The store by me where I purchased our fish has noticeably stopping labeling any fish that used to mention Pacific farm sources. Only Atlantic references or the veiled "farm raised" with no source is used now.
Then there are the "wild caught" either with a source or no source listed. Anything that is wild and Atlantic is my choice. Anything else is a no go.
And I am fortunate enough to live where a lot of fish from local sources are available, particularly fresh caught fish right out in the Atlantic. I live in Queens NY and there is an active fishing industry here. Frankly, I now only buy local source fish, and limit myself to the varieties I know are local and in season.
Of course there are the farm raised in China and Vietnam fish popping up lately but I have seen for myself how they are raised and I would rather eat cow dung than those fish. I have a vivid memory of an old woman walking out on a decrepit wooden floating dock on a penned in fish farm in Nam. She squatted and crapped off the dock right into the pen! That is a very common practice and a food source for the fish there. Lovely. Fresh Tilapia anyone?

Biggest release

I am still surprised when I read such credible news reports stating the obvious contamination .tepco has unleashed the biggest radiation leak ever into our ocean ( http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-05/tepco-reports-more-radioactive-... )there's really no downplaying that fact .i don't really know how accurate the report will turn out to be but the congressional research report ,
"Effects of Radiation from Fukushima Dai-ichi on the U.S. Marine Environment" was issued April 2.
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41751.pdf
"Scientists have stated that radiation in the ocean very quickly becomes diluted and would not be a problem beyond the coast of Japan. The same is true of radiation carried by winds. Barring another unanticipated release, radioactive contaminants from Fukushima Dai-ichi should be sufficiently dispersed over time that they will not prove to be a serious health threat elsewhere, unless they bioaccumulate in migratory fish or find their way directly to another part of the world through food or other commercial products."
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41751.pdf
Enjoy... tdm

Irradiated means to be exposed to ionizing radiation

it is not solely used as a term for killing bacteria - it also means simply exposed to or, in my opinion, since all exposure potentially damaging, contaminated.

Unfortunately NY and local Atlantic waters in that region are contaminated with radiation from nuke plants in NJ and NY and Connecticut (and up the Hudson as well I imagine and lobster from LI Sound has tested at levels higher than some living creatures exposed near Chernobyl for SR 90 in shells and soft tissues (internal organs).

I really need sardines in my diet. But how the hell can you know WHETHER they are safe IF BRAWN DOESN'T TEST THEM???

No one else is giving us hardly any answers at all.

I hope Mark and the BRAWM team read this and start testing seafood as well as MORE produce AND test for SR 90. The Cesium is NOT going to disappear and it will cycle into nature through the soil.

So where are the soil tests and where are the spinach and lettuce and potato tests.

I am beginning to believe that pressure is being brought to bear on BRAWM to protect California/Western agriculture/industry at the expense of human health and scientific knowledge and informed consumer decision-making.

Irradiated means to be exposed to ionizing radiation

it is not solely used as a term for killing bacteria - it also means simply exposed to or, in my opinion, since all exposure potentially damaging, contaminated.

Unfortunately NY and local Atlantic waters in that region are contaminated with radiation from nuke plants in NJ and NY and Connecticut (and up the Hudson as well I imagine and lobster from LI Sound has tested at levels higher than some living creatures exposed near Chernobyl for SR 90 in shells and soft tissues (internal organs).

I really need sardines in my diet. But how the hell can you know WHETHER they are safe IF BRAWN DOESN'T TEST THEM???

No one else is giving us hardly any answers at all.

I hope Mark and the BRAWM team read this and start testing seafood as well as MORE produce AND test for SR 90. The Cesium is NOT going to disappear and it will cycle into nature through the soil.

So where are the soil tests and where are the spinach and lettuce and potato tests.

I am beginning to believe that pressure is being brought to bear on BRAWM to protect California/Western agriculture/industry at the expense of human health and scientific knowledge and informed consumer decision-making.

Your opinion...

====================

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts, and not your own definition of words.

The word "irradiated" does mean "exposed to radiation":

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irradiated

The other poster is correct; the word we use when the foodstuff actually contains an unwanted radioactive substance is "contaminated".

Just because a material is exposed to radiation does not mean it contains radioactivity or gets radioactive itself. Many of the stupid anti-nukes "think" ( for lack of a better word ) that radioactivity is "contagious". It is not, and UC Berkeley Physics Professor Richard Muller makes that point in his book "Physics for Future Presidents":

http://books.google.com/books?id=6DBnS2g-KrQC&pg=PA121&lpg=PA121&dq=radi...

I love how food becomes

I love how food becomes "foodstuff." So very telling of the extent of your autism towards the earth and its travail.